Saturday 18 May 2024

The Power To Forgive


Isaiah 43:25 I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.

This is my dog Judah. We got him Christmas Day 2020. He’s a Shephard/Hound cross. We got him when he was three and a half months old. We suspect that his puppy beginnings were not so great by how he was, and how long it took him to warm up to us. We’ve had dogs in the past, but they’ve been small dogs; this time, I wanted a real dog. The only experience I had with a large breed dog was when I was 5. I had a St Bernard. She was special to me and I never got over losing her. 

In the spring of 2020, we bought a new home. Since the home was of significant size, we thought about getting a dog, but we put it off because we were renovating and setting things up. There were a lot of things to upgrade. When I first saw the home on the market in November of 2019, I was put off by it. When February of 2020 rolled around, I decided to take a closer look especially when the owners dropped the price - and it was beside a creek. We felt good about it - so we went ahead with the purchase - and ended up getting a great deal!

I enjoyed setting up our new home. Obtaining it was nothing short of a miracle. When the pandemic began, there was the "Mad March" market drop. We used our RRSP's to finance our down payment. The Monday after the RRSP withdrawal (which was the previous Friday), the market experienced one of the greatest drops in history. Had we not withdrawn the RRSP when we did, we would have lost 35% of the down-payment and would have had to make up the difference in the down-payment (which we didn't have) or run the risk of forfeiting the down-payment and losing the home altogether. 

I believe God had his hand in this... Psalm 44:3 For they got not the land in possession by their own sword, neither did their own arm save them: but thy right hand, and thine arm, and the light of thy countenance, because thou hadst a favour unto them.

In the summer, we had another interesting experience in which we were able to repay the full RRSP withdrawal back! We figured this was now the time to get a dog - but I put it off. I decided to pray about it because I wanted to make sure that I was the right person for the dog. I prayed about it for three months, then I started to pursue one in November - believing that I was in the right position to welcome one into my new home.

I found a couple of beautiful dogs, but they fell through for reasons that crushed my heart.

By this time, the lockdowns were in full force and that was disheartening enough; I began to feel a little desperate. I saw Judah advertised as a dog named Timer, but I hesitated because there was something sketchy about the photo.

After a long - daunting search for a suitable dog with unfavorable results, I decided to consider Timer. 

I spoke with the dog-breeder (puppy-mill) and I learned that this dog had a great deal of my own character traits and I was assured he was trained to go to the bathroom outdoors. So I arranged a meeting which happened to be on Christmas Day.

The woman - Kayla pulled up and about 8 dogs (including puppies) all pooled out of a little old hatch-back. I said I wanted to get a feel for the dog without a commitment. She said that for a "hold" she would go into town and then come back. I agreed. When she pulled away, I realize that I now had a dog that I wasn't totally sure of and she had my deposit. She called, and demanded the remainder via e-transfer. So we sent it, and from that moment on, we were dog owners.

The first thing this dog did was he started to chew everything! Don't laugh, it was wicker!

Since it was the early afternoon on Christmas Day, we had no way to get to the pet store to get supplies (we were unprepared because of the sudden thrust upon us). So we allowed the wicker to get chewed up until we were able to get Timer - now Judah, some provisions.

We got him a comfy bed - which he chewed up. We got him stuffed toys - which he chewed up; my husbands high-top Nike's - all chewed up, and then we were all cut-up because he chewed on us as well! Wow - his teeth were sharp!

By this time, I was uncertain that getting Judah was a good decision. Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

I decided to pray about this - so I asked God what the right decision was. I didn't want to give up on Judah, so after I prayed about it. I believed that God would condition my heart so I was the right person for the dog (it's never the other way around).

I took him for all his shots - and after them, he was still exhibiting aggressive behavior. The vet suggested to get him neutered (by this time he was past 4 months). I went ahead with it and he was less aggressive with us.

At the beginning of summer, when the new carpet smell dissipated and the temperatures increased, I noticed an odor. I then realized he covered all of the main area upstairs, on my new carpet, with his pee! I broke down. It took several hours over several days, loads of disinfecting solution and a great deal of time on my knees to blot it all out. 

While I was on my knees, I recalled Isaiah 43:25 "I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins."

As God spoke to my heart with this verse, I realized that is how forgiveness works; we can't remove what we've done or change how our actions have affected God or others. I understood this because Judah has paws and not hands. He also did not have what it takes to physically clean the carpets; the ownership was on me to clean - the ownership was also on me to also forgive - but it could only come through the conditioning of my heart. I wanted to give up on Judah and considered rehoming him, but I knew that was not an option.

Then I understood what God did for us through Christ Jesus his Son. You see, He blots out our sin - not us - we can't - we don't have the right tools; it came by the heart of God through the Blood of Jesus. This is the only "solution" that removes the stain of sin on our soul. 

I looked at Judah and cried and cried; As I did, he was aware that his actions caused me grief. That grieved him and Judah has never peed in the house since! 

This is how forgiveness works; I was the one who suffered - but I was also the one who had to forgive. 1 Peter 4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins. Only the injured person can blot out the transgression, and when it is blotted out, the relationship heals and is restored. Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Jesus was wounded on the Cross; from His example, we learn that it is only the wounded person who must forgive because they are the only one in the position to offer it. 1 John 4:20  If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? The person who offers forgiveness seeks love and restoration...Proverbs 17:9 He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends.

You see, when someone does you wrong, your heart will respond in love (restoration) or hate (division or separation); it is solely based on the condition of your heart: 1 John 4:7-8 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. When we respond in love, we show God that we truly are His children!

A year later, I feel so blessed to have the joy, comfort and companionship Judah brings; he is so much a part of our family that he even has his own room!

God Bless,

Maria

Simplifying Forgiveness





No comments:

Post a Comment